Author Topic: Yemen: the received British Establishment 'intelligence'  (Read 4252 times)

Phil Talbot

• View Profile
Yemen: the received British Establishment 'intelligence'
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »
It occurs to me that there's probably better 'understanding' of the present situation in (the mainstream media's favourite 'new enemy'/'bogey state') Yemen to be found within the South Shields 'minority' Yemen-origined community than in the British Establishment ... but, for the record, and for what it's worth, this is a summary of recent Chatham House / 'MI6' (take your pick!) 'intelligence' that is 'informing' present British foreign policy there ...

'Yemen: Fear of Failure'
Chatham House, Briefing Paper by Ginny Hill (Ms Hill, who the BBC, etc, have decided is a leading British 'expert' on Yemen, affects to be an 'independent' analyst, but, since she British state establishment sponsored, some might doubt that), first published November 2008 - and so suggesting long-term planning of present 'developments' : ...
'Yemen presents a potent combination of problems for policy-makers confronting the prospect of state failure in this strategically important Red Sea country. It is the poorest state in the Arab world, with high levels of unemployment, rapid population growth and dwindling water resources.
President Saleh faces an intermittent civil war in the north, a southern separatist movement and resurgent terrorist groups. Yemen's jihadi networks appear to be growing as operating conditions in Iraq and Saudi Arabia become more difficult.
The underlying drivers for future instability are economic. The state budget is heavily dependent on revenue from dwindling oil supplies. Yemen's window of opportunity to shape its own future and create a post-oil economy is narrowing.
Western governments need to work towards an effective regional approach with the member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council, in particular Saudi Arabia.
Future instability in Yemen could expand a lawless zone stretching from northern Kenya, through Somalia and the Gulf of Aden, to Saudi Arabia. Piracy, organized crime and violent jihad would escalate, with implications for the security of shipping routes, the transit of oil through the Suez Canal and the internal security of Yemen's neighbours.'

+

... oddly, perhaps, Ms Hill's 'indeprednet' analysis omits all mention of  Saudi military 'adventures' in Yemen ... and ... etc ...

Phil Talbot

• View Profile
Re: Yemen: the received British Establishment 'intelligence'
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:42:23 PM »
Additional personal notes:
I, like most British people (I would imagine), have no 'dispute' and/or 'conflict' with the people of Yemen. So why has the British government decided that 'we' do? - and why has it withdrawn British diplomatic representation from there? And whatever happened to 'diplomacy' I wonder? And why can't 'they' think of better ways of starting a new decade than propagating fresh 'scare-stories' at home and pointing fingers at new 'bogey states' abroad?