Author Topic: Open emails ...  (Read 6838 times)

Phil Talbot

• View Profile
Open emails ...
« on: March 03, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »
28 November 2014

Dear Mr Talbot

Thank you for your recent email regarding the Trident nuclear weapons system.

I want to see a world free of nuclear weapons, and I believe the UK should do everything it can to work alongside international allies towards the goal of multilateral disarmament.

However, Labour’s position is that the uncertainties of the UK’s position in a complex and constantly changing world mean a credible deterrent is still a necessary part of Britain’s defence policy. Labour is therefore committed to a minimum, credible independent nuclear deterrent. Last year’s Trident Alternatives Review concluded that there is no realistic alternative to maintaining an at-sea deterrent, and so Labour will continue to support this approach while continuing to pursue international cooperation towards eradicating nuclear weapons. I agree that this policy should be kept under review, and would encourage a Labour government in 2015 to consider every possibility when deciding on the future of the UK’s nuclear policy.

I hope this reply is useful, and thank you again for contacting me about this important issue.

Yours sincerely

Emma Lewell-Buck MP
Member of Parliament for South Shields

House of Commons
London
SW1A 0AA

Parliamentary Office: 0207 219 4468

Ede House
143 Westoe Road
South Shields
NE33 3PD

Constituency Office: 0191 427 1240

Email: emma.lewell-buck.mp@parliament.uk
Twitter: @EmmaLewellBuck

Sent: 17 November 2014 14:08
To: LEWELL-BUCK, Emma
Subject: Will you vote to Scrap Trident if elected?

Philip Talbot
65 St Cuthbert's Avenue
South Shields
NE34 7LN

philtal_uk@yahoo.com

Dear Emma Lewell-Buck,

I am writing to you to ask your views on the UK's Trident nuclear weapon system. I am particularly concerned because a decision on whether or not to replace Trident - at a cost of £100bn - is due in 2016 and successfully elected Members of Parliament will have to vote on this.

It is therefore important to me that you set out your views on Trident.

I believe that maintaining Trident is irrelevant to modern security threats; runs counter to our Non-Proliferation Treaty commitment to nuclear disarmament; and is not the best use of tax payers' money given the cuts deemed necessary in other areas of public spending.

In particular, before deciding how I will vote, I would like to know your views on the following four questions:

The UK's submarine-based Trident nuclear weapon system is approaching the end of its operational life. Do you think the UK should replace its nuclear weapon system?
The next government will conduct a Strategic Defence and Security Review. Do you think that should consider the possibilities and implications of scrapping and not replacing Trident?
The next government will need to attend the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference in New York. Do you think it should support a nuclear weapons convention or ban, similar to those for chemical or biological weapons?
The next government will have to decide whether to carry out the current coalition government's projected austerity programme. Do you think spending £100 billion on Trident replacement can be justified?

I hope you can set out your responses, either in a simple yes or no form, or in greater depth if you have time.

I look forward to discussing this with you further on the campaign trail.

Yours sincerely,

Philip Talbot

UK Parliament Disclaimer: This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.